In the MISO region, load-serving entities, with oversight by the States (as applicable by jurisdiction,) are responsible for their resource adequacy.
Our Goal is to support the achievement of resource adequacy i.e. ensure there is enough capacity available to meet the needs of all consumers in the MISO footprint during peak times and at just and reasonable rates. Additional and supporting goals include maintaining confidence in the attainability of resource adequacy in all time horizons, building confidence in MISO’s resource adequacy assessments and providing sufficient transparency and market mechanisms to mitigate potential shortfalls.
Read our draft Resource Adequacy Issues Statement for a deeper look at the issues affecting resource adequacy in the MISO footprint and beyond.
Five guiding principles provide the framework necessary to achieve our goals.
- Resource Adequacy processes must ensure confidence in Resource Adequacy outcomes in all time horizons
- MISO will work with stakeholders to ensure an effective and efficient resource adequacy construct with appropriate consideration of all eligible internal and external resources and resource types and recognition of legal/regulatory authorities and responsibilities
- MISO will determine adequacy at the regional and zonal level and provide appropriate regional and zonal resource adequacy transparency and awareness for multiple forward time horizons
- MISO will administer and evolve processes in a manner that provides transparency and reasonable certainty, appropriately protects individual market participant proprietary information in order to support efficient stakeholder resource and transmission investment decisions
- MISO’s resource planning auction and other processes will support multiple methods of achieving and demonstrating resource adequacy, including self-supply, bilateral contracting and market-based acquisition.
Resource Adequacy Straw Proposals
Drawing on stakeholder feedback, MISO developed three straw proposals to stimulate further discussion and develop policy consensus around potential solutions to these issues.
Resource Adequacy Straw Proposal - Seasonality
Resource Adequacy Straw Proposal - Locational
Resource Adequacy Straw Proposal - Generation Queue
Find all of the materials created and shared during Resource Adequacy Forums in the Special Meeting Materials / Resource Adequacy Forum.