The energy industry is rapidly changing. As the grid changes, so does our approach to meeting energy demands. We need a diversified group of smart, motivated problem solvers to overcome these challenges. MISO’s internship program helps prepare students for future roles as leaders and innovators in the energy industry.
Our interns are presented with meaningful and challenging projects that will have a direct impact on the success of MISO. Interns gain exposure to all aspects of the company and leave with a better understanding of how MISO and the corporate world work together to deliver power to over 42 million Americans. MISO’s geographic footprint stretches across 15 states and one Canadian province. This allows interns to work with a diverse group of employees all across the nation.
MISO's interns are valued members of our teams. Instead of spending all summer making copies and going on coffee runs, interns are given work that contributes to the company's overall goals. At the end of the summer, interns will have the opportunity to present their work to executives and employees across the company.
Each intern will work 40 hours each week from late May to mid-August. Interns are given projects that help develop their skills through real world experience.
If you are interested in learning more about an internship at MISO, check out the MISO on the Road tab to see when our team will be at your school.
One of the most important aspects of our internship program is to develop interns into well-rounded professionals who are prepared to enter the workforce.
Each intern will be exposed to several new tools to contribute to their professional success. Interns will have several different training opportunities throughout their experience that will cover topics such as how to communicate effectively, financial wellness and perseverance.
MISO sets each intern up with a team of employees to make their experience successful. Interns not only have their department managers to meet with, but they are also given a mentor in their department to help answer any day to day questions they may have on their work.
Each intern also participates in the Buddy Program, and is partnered with an employee outside of their own department that serves as a coach and MISO guide. Their buddy will also expose them to a different department than where they currently work to increase their overall understanding of the company.
It is common for interns to be hired on as full-time employees post-graduation. By giving our interns meaningful tasks we are able to gauge if MISO is the right fit. We want to ensure a mutually beneficial relationship for the company and potential MISO employee. The goal of the internship program is to prepare interns to return to MISO as successful full-time employees.
Whether they have been here for over ten years or less than a month, several of our most successful employees first joined MISO's team as interns. Read our blog posts below to hear a couple success stories from former interns.
1. What is the application and interview process?
Our internship positions are posted on our website from August through October. This is also when MISO employees will attend career fairs. Check out MISO on the Road to view our career fair schedule. We then contact qualified students for an initial phone interview and schedule an in person interview between October and December. Students who accept their offer will begin their internship in late May.
2. Do I need relevant experience to apply? Relevant work experience is not required but is certainly helpful to make an applicant stand out.
3. Is there a minimum GPA requirement? There is no minimum GPA required to apply for MISO internships.
4. What majors are eligible to apply? All majors are encouraged to apply. MISO offers internships in IT, engineering, marketing, corporate communications, finance, human resources, cyber security and several other fields.
5. Are international students eligible to apply? MISO is unable to sponsor international students.
6. Do all three MISO locations accept interns? Yes, interns may apply for a position in Indiana, Minnesota or Arkansas.
1. Where do interns live? MISO provides local housing for all interns in each location.
2. How many other interns are there? MISO has over 30 interns each year. There are several opportunities, both at the office and outside of work, to get to know your fellow intern class.
3. Are internship positions paid? MISO offers competitive pay and academic credit for interns.
4. How many hours do interns work? Interns are able to work a maximum of 40 hours per week.
5. How long does the internship program last? The program begins in late May and ends in the middle of August.
6. What type of work are interns given? MISO interns are given real world work experience. They are immediately immersed into the culture of the business and provided with tools and mentors to help them succeed. Interns have the opportunity to work on projects that have a lasting impact on the organization.
7. I still have more questions, who can I contact? Please contact MISO’s internship coordinator with any other questions.
View the schedule below to see when MISO will be visiting your school.
|September 3, 2019||Texas A&M Welcome Social|
|September 4-5, 2019||Texas A&M University Engineering Career Fair|
|September 8, 2019||Purdue University Computer Science Resume Review|
|September 9, 2019||Purdue University Computer Science Career Fair|
|September 9, 2019||Indiana University Accounting/Finance Career Fair|
|September 10, 2019||North Carolina A&T State University Career Awareness Program|
|September 11, 2019||Butler University Lacy School of Business Career Fair|
|September 12, 2019||Purdue University Computer and Information Technology Career Fair|
|September 18, 2019||Iowa State University Engineering Career Fair|
|September 18, 2019||Ball State University Cardinal Job Fair|
|September 18-19, 2019||University of Minnesota College of Science and Engineering Career Fair|
|September 24, 2019||Iowa State University Engineering Career Fair|
|September 24, 2019||University of Arkansas Business Career Fair|
|September 25, 2019||University of Arkansas STEM Career Fair|
|September 25, 2019||IUPUI Career Connection STEM Career Fair|
|September 26, 2019||Tuskegee University Career Fair|