Foster wholesale electric markets that deliver reliable and economically efficient outcomes.
Five principles serve as guideposts for progressing toward the Market Vision:
- Support an economically efficient wholesale market system that minimizes cost to distribute and deliver electricity
- Facilitate non-discriminatory market participation regardless of resource type, business model, sector or location
- Develop transparent market prices reflective of marginal system cost and cost allocation reflective of cost-causation and service beneficiaries
- Support market participants in making efficient operational and investment decisions
- Maximize alignment of market requirements with system reliability requirements
Market enhancement projects fall into at least one of seven development focus areas.
- Enhance unit commitment and economic dispatch processes
- Maximize economic utilization of existing and planned transmission infrastructure
- Improve efficiency of prices under all operating condition
- Facilitate efficient transactions across market “seams” with neighboring regions
- Streamline market administrative processes that reduce transaction costs
- Maximize availability of non-confidential and non-competitive market information
- Support Efficient Development of Resources Consistent with Long-term Reliability and/or Public Policy Objectives